Your Step-by-Step Beginner’s Guide to Instagram for Business
Instagram has more than 300 million users (Source: Instagram Blog). Is your brand tapping into this mobile-friendly, social network source of visual content and ready buyers?
According to Instagram’s owners, Instagram has grown into a community that shares more than 70 million photos and videos every day. Many business niches, such as food and fashion, are using this platform. For example, brands like
Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream have embraced Instagram as a way to keep and gain followers by sharing mouth-watering images of their newest flavors.
Even if you aren’t in one of these niches or don’t have a tangible product, you can still use similar strategies to gain a following on Instagram. The NBA doesn’t promote products on Instagram. They promote an emotionally charged experience. Their page gives followers a small sample of being courtside, which tempts followers to get the full experience in person.
Still not sure your business can benefit from using Instagram? Consider these facts:
• Instagram users primarily interact with smartphones so it’s readily accessible.
• Nearly 7.3 million people use Instagram on a daily basis.
• The average user spends about 257 minutes on Instagram per month.
• The average number of daily likes is 1.2 billion.
With those kinds of numbers, it’s easy to see the business boosting potential Instagram can have on your business. Before you get excited about the numbers and jump in, you need to know a few more details in order to make your experience more pleasant and profitable.
What is Instagram?I
Intagram, a combination of the words “instant” and “telegram”, is a mobile visual content sharing app and social network. In 2012, Facebook purchased it from its founders, Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger. As of December 2014, it’s gained more than 300 million users.
Instagram is unlike any other social network in that it is based solely on visual storytelling with photos and videos. Users can post images and short videos up to 15 seconds long. Every photo and video posted on the Instagram app is square, much like the old Polaroid pictures. This feature gives the app a more streamlined look and inspires creativity among its users.
Why should your business use Instagram?
You may be using Facebook and Pinterest for business already. So why would you want use Instagram as well?
• Like no other social network, Instagram provides solutions to common problems, which plague mobile photographers and video enthusiasts. They provide advanced tools to make mobile images more professional looking. They also optimize upload times, making it quick and efficient for users, compared to other platforms.
• Instagram lets you show your customers the human side of your business. You can post pictures showing the positive side of your company and the actual people behind your brand.
• All of the visual content you share on Instagram helps you to connect with your target market or one of its subsets. For instance, sharing your latest product and showing how people use it, attracts repeat customers and potential customers.
• Almost every business has some type of visual content they can share with their customers. Instagram is one of the best platforms to do this.
The first step is to get an Instagram account set up. Use the site for a while and you’ll get a feel for how it works. Follow your competitors and favorite brands to see how they use it and what kind of response their activities get.
Are you ready to get started with this visually appealing app? Follow this step-by-step guide to set-up your account and leverage the power of Instagram.
Getting started: Setting up Your Instagram for Business Account
Setting up your Instagram account is easy. You will quickly be adding photos and videos and connecting with your potential customers.
The first step in setting up your Instagram account is to download the app and choose an account name. Ideally, you’ll want it to be your business name so that is tied to your brand.
Many people use Instagram’s app to their iOS, Android phone, or tablet. It can be found in both the Apple App Store and the Google Play store. Instagram is also available on Windows Phone 8 and later from the Windows Phone Store
Important: You must create your account using the Instagram mobile app, not a computer. However, once your account is created, you can view Instagram on a computer.
Once you have downloaded the app you are ready to create an account.
To sign up:
Once the app is installed, tap on the Instagram icon to open it.
You can sign up either with your Facebook account or with an email address.
To register with your email address, enter it and tap “Next”. To sign up with your Facebook account, tap “Log In with Facebook”.
If you register with email, fill in your preferred username and a password. Fill out the profile info and then hit “Done”.
If you register with Facebook, you will need to log into your Facebook account. Your information will be automatically filled in, including your name and profile picture. You will need to create a username and password, however.
Now that you’re account has been created go to the Profile tab via the button on the bottom right of the screen to add more to your profile. This is where you will see your own posts.
Click the “Edit Your Profile” button to change your name, username and profile picture. You can add your website URL and a short biography here as well as change your password, update your email address and phone number and toggle whether you want your posts private or not.